segunda-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2014

EXO's "Miracles in December" Review




  I know, I know, I’m seriously late on this one,  it was released months ago… But! I have my reasons for being late. The most important one is that personally sometimes, when I listen to a new song, one possible first reaction is obviously not loving it. It was what happened with “Growl” for example – at first I didn’t quiet enjoyed, but a few weeks passed, I played it again one or two times, and BANG! It grew on me. Even now I don’t like “Growl” as much as I like “Wolf” (which was instant love), but I can listen to it and enjoy. Why am I saying this? Well, because with “Miracles in December” my nose twitched as a first reaction once again, and because I actually love EXO so much, I wanted to wait and see if my opinion changed before saying anything… So, here I am J
  Let’s start by introducing the song – Miracles in December. A song by EXO as form of gratitude to the fans for their success in 2013… *sees translation of the lyrics* “Just by thinking about it, I can fill the world up with you, Because each snowflake is your each tear drop”. Ahh… I’m sorry, but this is actually something that EXO usually does that I do not understand, and although this lyrics aren’t that compromising, it’s not the first time that They write something like this to the fans. We all know how EXO fans’ reputation is, rigth? To say words as deep  as the ones in the lyrics and dedicate them to people who you don’t even know?? Knowing how obsessive they are?? How does that make sense?
  I’m sorry, let’s move on to what really matters. The Christmas theme! I don’t understand why it seems that doing a Christmas Album or song is some kind of a Boys bands ritual. I mean, even N’SYNC made one back in the day. Although the melody and MV have Christmas spelled on them, the lyrics to aren’t about Christmas itself, it’s more like a love story (Oh, wait! They’re thanking  the fans… Yeah, right), and I like that. EXO has an hability to take something that has already been done and actually make it original and not boring. They did it with “Wolf”, and now with this song again. And the melody and their voices is pretty nice to hear, it flows and is sweet.  
  One thing that’s new to this song, is the formation: Only vocals included. And I must say, I also didn’t quiet liked this new formation. In the beginning not so much, but at the end, I didn’t felt that it was an Exo’s song, I felt that it was a Chen, Baekhyun and D.O/Luhan’s song… I’m sorry, but it was how I felt, I missed seeing them perfume as 12, and I missed that even more, when only the vocals started to perform and doing the promotions by themselves. I honestly feel like SM here should have gone back to the basics – use the vocals of EXO-K and EXO-M to do the Korean and Chinese version respectively instead of mixing things up. And I also say this because I feel that Suho and Lay voice’s would perfectly fit this song. And D.O would be perfectly capable of hitting Chen’s high notes in the Korean version (just listen to the beginning of MAMA – Korean version), and so would Baekhyun (altough They aren't as clean as Chen). But oh well, I guess you can’t argue with S.M… And changes are good. I mean… They sounded great.
  I know I shouldn’t complain even tough I still missed them as a whole, because Luhan is my ultimate bias, and I got to see him killing it actually. Which leads me to one good point of the song – the Chinese version, which in this case, to the ears of many listeners is slightly better than the Korean version. Not that the Korean is bad either but I think we can all agree that in the past, EXO kind of neglected the Chinese version in a sense that the lyrics didn’t sound as good…  (specially in “Growl”). Not the case here.
So, in the end, my impression of the song as whole haven’t changed, a few things still make me twitch my nose. Although I can’t say is bad either…  We can’t deny how beautiful the song is. But I think I would just prefer to wait for something more BANG as Wolf instead of having the members so tired and realizing this Album so soon.

  
So, my final verdict,(taking both versions in consideration) is… 3 Stars in a total of 5. And I’ll leave the MV’s of the two versions for you to enjoy.




Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário